Sunday, May 12, 2013

Day One! Bag One!

Celestial Beach Tote

   Today is the start of my blogging venture. I am going to create 365 handbags in 365 days. Yes I know that's sounds like a lot but really, what woman doesn't want a new bag to go with every outfit and a new bag for every day of the year. Talk about accessorizing! I will be posting photos of the finished product, always, photos of the design and pattern page, when I have one, and photos of the creation process when I remember to take some. 

   You can always find my bags on my Etsy page and yes, they are all for sale except in the case that they are made from a fabric that I have a limited amount of and what I have made is sold out. I will also be making some one of a kind art bags and those will be for sale but they will of course be one of a kind, so first come first served. If you do not find something you are looking for I can work on a custom order for you, and maybe it will go in my blog. 

   Now let's get on to the first bag.



   This is a large Beach tote made from 3 layers of canvas, it is super strong! I love this fabric, these are the leftovers from the crib set I made my daughter when she was a baby. I love the design, and the colors go really well together. She is 16 years old now so I have been sitting on this fabric for quite some time and once it's gone it is gone! The outer fabric is a heavy canvas outdoor fabric, it is durable and strong, which made it perfect for a very large tote bag or a beach tote. It is washable, and though it is not water proof it is perfect for a day at the beach or pool, and with summer coming I thought this was  a perfect start for my blog. 

   Here is my design sheet, this is the closest thing I use to a pattern when I am working with straight cuts and easily measured out dimensions. As you'll see on future bags I actually have a few different variations on this same design sheet, the main difference is in the dimensions. 



   I know it is a little hard to see so I will give the measurements for this bag;

Canvas or Muslin center piece ..... 49" X 21"  -cut 1
lining................................................. 21" X 25"  -cut 2
pocket............................................... 9" X 10"    -cut 2
Interfacing....................................... 14" X 6"    -cut 2
Straps (same as base fabric)......... 3.5" X 45" -cut 2
Base Fabric ..................................... 21"  X 18" -cut 1
Top Accent (same as base fabric). 21" X 3.5"-cut 2
Center panel.................................... 21" X 15"  -cut 2

These are the cut sizes and fabric pieces needed to complete this bag. zooming in on the picture will give you an idea of placement. I leave a large opening in the bottom of the lining and use that to turn the bag once it is finished. 

No comments:

Post a Comment